Dear ER Parents and Guardians,
I am sending the following reminders given the outdoor safety needs at this time. I ask that you review all of the information included.
School Zones & Drivers
- The Falls Township Police Department works with PSD to provide crossing guards in two locations to assist our students crossing safely.
- In addition to the speed limit, drivers on Walton Drive should follow these guidelines while within the ER School Zone during marked hours:
- Do not part adjacent to the marked crosswalks.
- Do not make u-turns.
- Do not park and block driveways.
Supervision Outside of the School Day
There has been an increasing number of students waiting outside of our school building before 8:40 AM in the morning and a few who are not picked up by a parent/guardian after 3:40 PM. Please understand that we cannot provide supervision for students before and after the school day.
- Before School - Supervision Not Available Until 8:40 AM
- Please remember that parents/guardians are not to drop off students outside on ER’s campus before 8:40 AM (or on a 2 hour delay before 10:40 AM) as students will not be supervised.
- Professional staff have assigned meetings and collaboration time until 8:40 AM and cannot provide supervision before 8:40 AM.
- Support staff do not report to work until 8:40 AM.
- Main office staff do not provide student supervision at any time. Note - between 8:00 AM and 8:40 AM, main office staff are taking care of attendance communications from parents/guardians and completing required before school tasks.
- After School - Supervision Not Available After 3:40 PM
- Student supervision is not provided after 3:40 PM.
- When a student is picked up after 3:40 PM, any staff member supervising a student is not being paid and is doing so to keep the student safe. In emergency situations, this is necessary and understandable. Otherwise, we cannot provide supervision.
- For any parent or guardian with a schedule that does not easily fit the available supervision for students at ER, I suggest that parents/guardians explore using the Kidscare program to accommodate their schedules.
- After 3:40 PM - Supervision Exceptions:
- Students taking part in ER After School Enrichments and other clubs that report directly at 3:40 PM are supervised.
- Students riding PSD buses that are late arriving (after 3:40 PM) are supervised in the gymnasium until their bus arrives.
Winter & Students Outside
- Cold weather temperatures require your attention as well. Students need to be prepared and dressed appropriately each day to be outside for arrival, dismissal, recess and occasional fire drills (see below for more details about outside recess).
- Regarding recess, there are many variables that impact decisions regarding outdoor recess such as precipitation, wind speed and temperature.
- It is most often the wind chill factor that impacts outdoor recess during the winter.
- In PSD, elementary principals consult the guidelines provided in the Child Care Weather Watch regarding wind chill and heat-index factors.
- Note that today’s wind chill factors fall within the conditional zone, but at ER/PSD we err on the side of caution within this zone. Today we would have had indoor recess if there had not been a two-hour delay.
- Below is my summary from the Child Care Weather Watch:
- Comfortable wind chill factors (combination of temperature and wind speed) for outdoor recess:
- Temperatures 32 degrees and above
- Wind speeds from 0 - 15 mph
- Conditional wind chill factors for determining outdoor recess:
- Temperatures from 13 - 31 degrees
- Wind speeds 20 - 40 mph
- No outdoor recess due to wind chill factors:
- Temperatures 12 degrees and below
- Wind speeds 10 - 40 mph
Thank you for supporting our students and school.